1914 – The city of Appleton had a population of 20,000. Church council members of St. Paul Lutheran Church requested that a new church be started to keep pace with the growth of Appleton. Rev. R.E. Ziesemer was the first pastor.
1915 – Pastor E. Bruns was called to St. Matthew.
1918 – Rev. A. Werner was called to St. Matthew. While he was pastor, the tradition for having a German service and an English service each Sunday was started.
1920 – Rev. Philip Froehlke was called to St. Matthew. The Mason Street parsonage was built the year after. Pastor Froehlke also later became the first schoolteacher.
1923 – The congregation declared itself self-supporting. Up to this time it was receiving support from the synod.
1924 – The new church we have today was dedicated. The membership had grown to about 65 families. The little chapel was converted to a one-room school.
1938 – Pastor Froehlke entered his eternal rest. Pastor Sylvestor Johnson was called to be our pastor.
1939 – The Easter Sunrise Service was adopted and a communion rail was built around the altar.
1943 – It was decided to hold two English services each Sunday, except on the second Sunday, when a German service would precede the English service.
1947 – The final of our church debt was paid. In 1948, the property west of the church was purchased.
1953 – The congregation had decided to discontinue all German services. The cornerstone for our new three-room school was dedicated. St. Matthew joined the federation, which supports Fox Valley Lutheran High School.
1955 – The bell tower was complete.
1960 – The 1326 and 1332 W. Lawrence Street properties were purchased. Mr. Gresens became the school’s first principal.
1963 – A two-classroom and one school office addition was dedicated.
1967 – The property at 1336 W. Lawrence Street was purchased.
1970 – The council authorized the calling of a vicar to assist the pastor.
1976 – The school addition was dedicated which included church and pastor offices, council room, gymnasium, locker rooms, school cafeteria, three classrooms, and a new boiler.
1981 – Pastor Johnson retired after 43 years. Pastor David Pagel was called. Mr. Alfred Gresens retired and Steven Schultz accepted the call as Principal.
1983 – Monday night services were adopted from May through October.
1987 – Pastor Robert Hein was ordained as Associate Pastor, and this same year the vicar program was discontinued. This same year a new organ, a remodeled balcony, and a new church entrance were completed.
1988 – The Board of Elders was established. The congregation voted to hold Saturday services from Labor Day to Memorial Day.
1989 – The church expansion was dedicated. Seating capacity increased to 500. Robert Fischer accept the call as Principal.
1995 – Pastor Bradley Ragner was called to St. Matthew as Associate Pastor.
1998 – Pastor Randall Johnson was called to St. Matthew as Associate Pastor.
2000 – Mr. Schliewe was promoted to school Principal. Pastor Verbeke accepted the call as Associate Pastor.
2002 – Pastor Pagel accepted a call to Immanuel, Oshkosh after 21 years at St. Matthew.
2003 – Mr. Ruddat was installed as our first staff minister. Pastor Paul Schuler accepted the call as our Associate Pastor. Parish Assistance Program began.
2004 – Office space was expanded to support staff. New computers were purchased, and the first computer network was installed throughout the facility. Gymnasium roof was replaced.